Thursday, March 2, 2017

Sports and Our Youth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9_Xrmxcrg4

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/once-homeless-punk-finds-his-place-on-the-wrestling-mat/vi-AAn6Dkb?ocid=spartandhp


There are a lot of factors that affect the development of our young and teenage youth. But perhaps one that is mostly talked about is sports. Sports and other extracurricular activities have aid the development of youth both psychically and mentally. Some people even go as far as to say that sports saved their lives and that without it they wouldn’t be the person they are today.

Take for example, Jaime Miranda, a senior at Central College in Pella, Iowa. Miranda is co-captain of the college’s wrestling team. As a young child he grew up without a father, while his mother struggled to raise him and his sister. They were homeless at times and would even live out of a car. Miranda also ended up serving time in juvenile detention, until sports started stirring him into the right path. When he started wrestling on campus his temper would get the best of him at times. But thanks to his Coach and teammates, Miranda has developed greatly as an individual.

As a current college wrestler, I personally can say that I owe my present mentality to being a student-athlete both in high school and college. Before joining a sport I too was hot headed and in some people’s opinion hard to deal with. The sport of wrestling has humbled me as a person and taught me the proper discipline and self-control I desperately needed. Also throughout my time in high-school I has seen sports change my peers for the better. We see more examples of how sports programs can breed positivity for our youth and young adult every day in our own communities and hope they will continue to do so.

1 comment:

  1. I 100% completely agree with this post. I have been in athletics all my life. As an athlete in the past, and now as a coach. Sports can help you stay busy and stay away from too much partying. It establishes a good work ethic and discipline.

    ReplyDelete